Travel to Russia requires an entry visa. The Consular Division of the Embassy issues different categories of visas to Russia based upon the purpose of the trip and the duration of stay in Russia.
Citizens of the countries that have a visa waiver agreement signed with the Russian Federation can travel to the Russian Federation without visas. You can check the list of countries whose passport holders do not require a visa to enter Russia (available only in Russian).
The following documents should be submitted in order to obtain a visa according to its category:
- Completed visa application online, print it out in pdf, sign and date/
- Valid national passport.
- One picture of an applicant.
- Visa support letter.
- Other required documents (depending on visa type and bilateral agreements).
Please note that:
- In accordance with Russian laws citizens of the Russian Federation regardless of any other citizenship must travel to Russia on valid Russian documents only.
- Visa processing starts only after the Consular Section has collected all necessary documents.
- Visa processing fee is NOT REFUNDABLE.
- Type of visa or dates of entry/departure CANNOT BE CHANGED OR EXTENDED. If your travel plans have changed after the visa issuance you have to reapply for a new visa.
- After you received your visa, please CHECK ALL THE DATA indicated in it and, if necessary, return it to the Consular Section for corrections. The Consular Section will NOT BE RESPONSIBLE for any mistakes in the visas, which were not brought to our attention prior to your departure from New Zealand.
- Any visa applicant can be interviewed by the consular officer, if necessary.
- Processing time, requirements and fees are subject to change without notice.
- In certain cases the Consular Section is entitled to consider visa applications as long as it necessary. Visa CAN BE DENIED if the Consular Section has serious reasons to believe that an applicant’s entry into or stay in the territory of the Russian Federation will NOT BE DESIRABLE.
- Please be advised that person CANNOT HAVE TWO VALID VISAS AT THE SAME TIME. In this case the first visa is to be cancelled.
Foreign national entering the Russian Federation is required to fill in an immigration card and present it to an immigration officer at a check-point for official stamping.
Photo requirements for visa application
After filling the Electronic Visa Application form online, you must print a copy of the application form, sign and date it, glue the required size photo to it.
One photograph of 3.5 by 4.5 cm, in color taken against a light background (white or off – white). The photo needs to display a full frontal view of the face. The facial image must be sharp and clear. Sunglasses or tinted glasses are not permitted. Head coverings and hats are only acceptable due to religious beliefs, and in this case there shall be a similar photo with a head covering in the applicant’s passport. The photo should be glued (not stapled or attached using adhesive tape) to the specially marked place of the application form. Photo requirements for visa application (download).
Applicants who have all required documents: passport, visa support letter, and completed form signed and with a glued photo should submit them to the Consular section of the Embassy personally or by post.
Our postal address:
PO Box 17 262, Karori, Wellington, New Zealand.
When mailing your application along with all required documents a self-addressed pre-paid return envelope should be enclosed. Otherwise, your visa will not be processed. To avoid your correspondence being lost in mail, we recommend using Courier Post Services. Please note that we forward back prepaid Courier Post and NZ Couriers envelopes only. We do not send passports abroad.
The Consulate will not be responsible for any loss or mishandling of the mail by the Postal Service or any other delivery agent.
The validity and type of visa should be strictly connected to the purpose of visit. In Russia you cannot change your visa status (i.e. from tourist to business or from business to guest and vice versa). To do that, you have to leave the country and re-enter on different visa.
Children travel on their own passports. Child's visa application can be submitted by one of parents. Non-traveling parents must confirm in an affidavit their consent for their children's travel.
A visa does not guarantee entry into the Russian Federation. A person can be denied entry at a border crossing point should the circumstances referred to in Federal Law No. 114 FZ "On the Procedure of Exit from the Russian Federation and Entry into the Russian Federation" of August 15, 1996 arise. Therefore when at passport check-point the visa holder is to be ready for possible presentation of the same evidence that was submitted to the consular officer in support of the visa application (Confirmation letter and Voucher of the Russian travel agency).
Visa documents are accepted on working days until 12.30 p.m. only.
Payments can be made by debit card eftpos (if you visia Consulate personall) or bank cheques written out in the name of the Embassy of the Russian Federation (please note that we can not accept personal or company cheques from checkbooks as a mode of payment) ). We also don't accept cash as a mode of payment.
Visa processing time starts only after the Consulate has received all necessary documents. Please note, that drop-off day is not counted as a working day. If you apply by mail, please enclose a return self-addressed Courier envelope and add one more day for processing. After you receive your visa, please check it for possible mistakes (passport number, date of birth, term of validity etc.) and, if necessary, return it to us for corrections. The Consulate will not be responsible for the mistakes, which were not brought to its attention before your departure from New Zealand.
All documents must be submitted at once. Uncompleted sets will be returned to the applicants without processing.
There are additional requirements for non-New Zealand passport holders - permit to study, work in NZ for more than 90 days, residentship, etc. - valid NZ visa.
Proof of stay in NZ for an Australian passport holders - a letter from work/school/college etc. covering the period of more than 3 months.
We do NOT issue visas for the other States of the former USSR.
We are not always able to answer your individual requests by phone. Therefore, you can to send your enquires to the Consulate by e-mail: email@example.com.