(issued for up to 30 days period)
To enter the Russian Federation, foreigners must have valid visas. These can be obtained by submitting completed visa application form. Please, carefully fill in the visa information in the application form and follow all other requirements when submitting your papers. When applying, please, be advised that the permission to enter the Russian Federation is a courtesy of the State. Consular officer reserves the right to invite the applicant to be interviewed in person.
PLEASE note: You cannot apply for a visa earlier then 3 months before your entry to Russia.
The validity and type of visa should be strictly connected to the purpose of visit. When in Russia, you cannot change your visa status (i.e. from tourist to business or from business to guest and vice versa). To do that, you have to leave the country and re-enter on different visa.
Children apply for separate visas if they travel on their own passports. Non-traveling parents must confirm in an affidavit their consent for their children's travel.
You can apply for visa personally or by post. Our postal address: PO Box 17 262, Karori, Wellington, New Zealand. When mailing your application along with all required documents a self-addressed pre-paid return envelope should be enclosed. Otherwise, your visa will not be processed. To avoid your correspondence being lost in mail, we recommend using Courier Post Services. Please note that we forward back prepaid Courier Post and NZ Couriers envelopes only.
The Consulate will not be responsible for any loss or mishandling of the mail by the Postal Service or any other delivery agent.
To obtain a visa you should submit to the Consular section :
1. Filled in on-line (please see https://visa.kdmid.ru/PetitionChoice.aspx), then printed out and signed application form, one per person. While filling in the form (and not planning visiting the Consular Section in person but sending the application by post) please put a rough date you expect your courier bag would be delivered to the Embassy into the field “Date of the visit to consulate or visa center” of your appointment details questionary.
2. National passport (original) valid for at least 6 months after the intended date of departure from Russia. At least two pages (side by side) of the passport should be free from notes (additional pages inserted in your passport do not match the size of a Russian visa because they are smaller than standard pages of a foreigh passport).
3. One professional passport sized (3,5 x 4,5 sm) photo on a white background. The picture should be done on black-and-white or color matt or gloss paper. Please, be aware that your photo should be neatly cut out and glued to the specially marked place of the application form.
4.A standard tourist Confirmation ("Podtverzdeniye") from an authorized hosting Russian travel agency, registered in the Russian MFA. Confirmation must be issued in a due form, have a REFERENCE-NUMBER of the hosting company, personal data of each tourist, dates of trip, itinerary in Russia, services paid.
5.Should the Consulate wish to contact you, please state clearly your contact telephone number (office and after hours) in the application form.
Apart from tourist visa, you may be required to present at the border check point your tourist Confirmation, Voucher and a return ticket with a fixed date of departure from Russia, as well as evidence of your ability to support yourself during the travel.
NOTE: Same requirements apply to tourists on sea cruise ships. Please inquire with your cruise company.
All cruise passengers visiting Russia may enter and stay there without visa up to 72 hours.
Compulsory conditions are:
- They should have accommodations on board.
- The list of all passengers must be submitted to the local authorities 72 hours prior to arriving to the port of destination
- Every passenger must have valid identity documents.
- They must be included in the above mentioned list.
- They must travel only with the group according to the pre-arranged program of the shipping company
Single-entry visa is valid for one visit to Russia with the specified dates of arrival and departure.
Double-entry visa is issued for two entries (all arrival and departure dates must be indicated).
* TOURIST GROUP APPLICATIONS ARE NOT PROCESSED URGENTLY.
Australian citizens (except of those of dual citizenship or being permanent residents in NZ) are welcomed to submit their applications to the Russian diplomatic and consular missions in Australia: Russian Consulate-General in Sydney and Consular Section of the Russian Embassy in Canberra.
We will charge a full payment (subject to the visa type) for re-issuing a visa, if we are not responsible for the mistakes in it, otherwise the visa will be re-issued free of charge.
Visa processing fees received from the applicant are not subject for reimbursement in case of subsequent refusal.
A visa does not guarantee entry into the Russian Federation. As in other countries, the decision to allow entry is taken by the immigration officials. Therefore when at passport check-point the visa holder is to be ready for possible presentation of the same evidence that was submitted to the consular officer in support of the visa application (first of all - original of tour Voucher issued by Russian correspondent travel agency).
Payments are to be made by NZ post money orders or bank cheques written out in the name of the Embassy of the Russian Federation ((please note that we can not accept personal cheques as a mode of payment) ). We also don't accept cash as a mode of payment.
Visa processing time starts only after the Consulate has received all necessary documents. Please note, that drop-off day is not counted as a working day. If you apply by mail, please enclose a return self-addressed Courier envelope and add one more day for processing. After you receive your visa, please check it for possible mistakes (passport number, date of birth, term of validity etc.) and, if necessary, return it to us for corrections. The Consulate will not be responsible for the mistakes, which were not brought to its attention before your departure from New Zealand.
ATTENTION! There are additional requirements for non-New Zealand citizens (permit to study, work in NZ for more than 90 days, residentship, etc.)
Citizens of the Russian Federation regardless of any other citizenship they have must travel to Russia on valid Russian documents only.
We do NOT issue visas for the other States of the former USSR.
Our main task is to process the visa applications. We are not always able to answer your individual requests by phone. Therefore, you are kindly advised to send your enquires to the Consulate by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (04) 476-38-43.